Chicago Serving Chicagoland, Northwest IN & Southeast WI
menu Shape

Chicagoland Funding Sources

We work with a multitude of different funding sources in Chicagoland, northwest Indiana, and southeast Wisconsin and would like to share some of those organizations and options. The following is a guide to resources that may be able to help you pay for a stair lift, ramp, or other accessibility solution. Specific details can only be obtained by contacting the individual organization directly.

Please don't hesitate to reach out to us if you have any questions.

State of Illinois and Chicago Area Resources:

Aspire Chicago 

Aspire Chicago has been a leader in providing services to both children and adults with development disabilities. They've be non-profit organization since 1960 and proudly serve families and individuals in IL & WI.

City of Chicago: Home Repairs for Accessible & Independent Living (H-Rail)

The City of Chicago through the Department of Housing provides home improvements at no cost to qualified senior citizens age 60 and over, who are residents of Chicago. Homeowners and renters are encouraged to apply. For further information, please call (312) 742-0014 or visit their website.

City of Chicago: Mayor’s Office for People with Disabilities (MOPD) Home Mod Program

The HomeMod Program is run by the Mayor’s Office and enables people with disabilities of low to moderate income to have their homes and apartments modified for accessibility purposes. Eligibility mandates that the person with a disability is a Chicago resident, 59 years of age or younger, with certain income specifications. For more information, please call (312) 743-1523 or (312) 744-7833 (TTY) or visit the MOPD website.

Community Alternatives Unlimited

A diverse non-profit corporation that works with state agencies, and several other organizations to serve families and individuals with disabling conditions. Community Alternatives (CAU) helps improve the health of these individuals by providing economic support. A unique fact about CAU is that they speak 13 different languages.

Crime Victims Compensation Program

Sponsored by the Illinois Attorney General’s Office, the victim and or/dependent of a violent crime can apply for financial assistance within one year of the date of injury. Other restrictions may apply. For more information, please call 1-800-288-3368 or visit their website.

Department of Healthcare and Family Services (HFS)

HFS administers the Medicaid program, providing health care assistance for qualified adults and children. In some cases, Medicaid will a pay for home medical equipment, including lifts that do not require home modifications. Visit their website.

Division of Specialized Care for Children (DSCC)

Administered by the University of Illinois, this program can provide accessibility modifications for certain individuals under the age of 21 with certain chronic physical disabilities and health impairments. For more information, please call the Chicago office at (312) 996-6380 or visit their website. Individual offices are shown below:

Chicago South Regional Office
1309 S. Halsted Street
3rd Floor, Suite 307
Chicago, IL 60607-5021
Phone: (312) 433-4100
TDD: (312) 433-4108
FAX: (312) 433-4107
Toll-Free: 800-905-9995

North Cook Regional Office
8609 Bryn Mawr, Suite 202
Chicago, IL 60631-3524
Phone: (773) 444-0043
TDD: (773) 444-0178
FAX: (773) 444-0176
Toll-Free: 800-924-0623

Chicago North Regional Office
1919 W. Taylor Street
Room 701, M/C 618
Chicago, IL 60612-7254
Phone: (312) 996-2723
TDD: (312) 996-7584
FAX: (312) 996-7820
Toll-Free: 800-425-1068

South Cook Regional Office
6160 S. East Avenue, Suite 400
Hodgkins, IL 60525-4125
Phone: (708) 482-0633
TDD: (708) 482-1103
FAX: (708) 482-2629
Toll-Free: 800-425-5454

DuPage Regional Office
1919 S. Highland Ave, Suite 320A
Lombard, IL 60148
Phone: (630) 652-8900
TDD: (630) 424-0553
FAX: (630) 424-0669
Toll Free: 800-924-0623

Rockford Regional Office
State Regional Office Building
4302 North Main Street, Room #106
Rockford, IL, 61103-1209
Phone: (815) 987-7571
Toll-free within Illinois: (800) 651-9319
FAX: (815) 987-7891
TDD: (815) 987-7995


Illinois Department of Human Services

Located through the state serving people with disabilities from ages 18-59. Government funding for home modifications through the Department of Rehab Services Department of Human Services Office of Rehabilitation Services (DRS) is available for qualifying individuals.

Please visit their website or call any of the following offices:

Arlington Heights DRS Office
715 W Algonquin Rd, Suite A
Arlington Heights, IL 60005
Phone: (847) 758-3483
TTY: (847) 758-3482
Fax: (847) 758-3473

Aurora DRS Office
888 S Edgelawn Dr, Suite 1771
Aurora, IL 60506
Phone: (630) 892-7417
TTY: (630) 892-7702
Fax: (630) 892-7461

Avalon Park DRS Office
8840 S Stony Island
Chicago, IL 60617
Phone: (773) 768-6700
TTY: (773) 768-6700
Fax: (773) 768-0467
Note: This office only provides Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) services.

Chicago Heights DRS Office
1010 Dixie Highway, 4th Floor
Chicago Heights, IL 60411
Phone: (708) 709-3333
TTY: (708) 709-3337
Fax: (708) 709-3328

Dekalb DRS Office
1330 Oakwood Dr
Dekalb, IL 60115
Phone: (815) 758-2471
TTY: (815) 758-2471
Fax: (815) 758-6942

Downers Grove DRS Office
2901 Finley Ave, Suite 109
Downers Grove, IL 60515
Phone: (630) 495-0500
TTY: (630) 495-0500
Fax: (630) 495-9089

Elgin DRS Office
452 N. McLean Blvd, 2nd floor
Elgin, IL 60123
Phone: (847) 931-2360
TTY: (847) 931-2380
Fax: (847) 931-2379

Evergreen Park DRS Office
9730 S Western Ave, Suite 612
Evergreen Park, IL 60642
Phone: (708) 857-2350
TTY: (708) 857-2359
Fax: (708) 857-2391

Ford City DRS Office
7600 S Pulaski Rd
Chicago, IL 60652
Phone: (773) 838-5745
TTY: (773) 838-5745
Fax: (773) 838-5748

Hiawatha DRS Office
6200 N Hiawatha Ave, Suite 300
Chicago, IL 60646
Phone: (773) 794-4800
TTY: (773) 794-4830
Fax: (773) 794-4833

ICRE Wood DRS Office
1151 S Wood St
Chicago, IL 60612
Phone: (312) 633-3570
TTY: (312) 633-3570
Fax: (312) 633-3575

Illinois Institute of Technology DRS Office
10 W 35th St, 4th Floor
Chicago, IL 60616
Phone: (312) 328-2900
TTY: (312) 328-2710
Fax: (312) 328-2940

Joliet DRS Office
1617 W Jefferson St
Joliet, IL 60435
Phone: (815) 730-4200
TTY: (815) 730-4200
Fax: (815) 730-4224

Kankakee DRS Office
1780 W Merchant Ave
Kankakee, IL 60901
Phone: (815) 939-4422
TTY: (815) 939-4422
Fax: (815) 939-4453

Milwaukee Avenue DRS Office
1279 N Milwaukee Ave
Chicago, IL 60622
Phone: (773) 292-4400
TTY: (773) 292-4400
Fax: (773) 292-4432

North Pulaski DRS Office
743 N Pulaski Road
Chicago, IL 60624
Phone: (773) 638-3070
TTY: (773) 638-3260
Fax: (773) 638-3977

Westchester DRS Office
2215 Enterprise Drive
Westchester, IL 60154
Phone: (708) 409-8800
TTY: (708) 472-0963
Fax: (708) 409-8831

Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago DRS Office
326 W Illinois, 1st Floor
Chicago, IL 60610
Phone: (312) 908-2631
TTY: (312) 908-6163
Fax: (312) 908-3849

South Pulaski DRS Office
8600 S Pulaski Rd
Chicago, IL 60652
Phone: (773) 838-5660
TTY: (773) 838-5660
Fax: (773) 838-5693

Waukegan DRS Office
2740 W Grand Ave
Waukegan, IL 60085
Phone: (847) 244-8474
TTY: (847) 244-8474
Fax: (847) 244-8449


El Valor

El Valor is a non-profit organization with a goal of helping all members of the Chicagoland community, including those with special needs, live, learn and work.

Independent Living Centers

The Illinois Network of Centers for Independent Living, the statewide association representing the 23 Centers for Independent Living (CIL) in Illinois. INCIL is an authoritative source of information about the accomplishments and needs of Illinois CILs and about issues most critical to promoting independent living for all persons with disabilities.

For more information, please visit their website or call one of your local centers:

Access Living of Metropolitan Chicago
614 West Roosevelt
Chicago, IL 60607
Phone: (312) 253-7000
Fax: (312) 253-7001
TTY: (312) 253-7002

Options Center for Independent Living
61 Meadowview Center
Kankakee, IL 60901
Phone: (815) 936-0100
Fax: (815) 936-0117
TTY: (815) 936-0132

DuPage Center for Independent Living
739 Roosevelt Rd. Building 8, #109
Glen Ellyn, IL 60137
Phone: (630) 469-2300
Fax: (630) 469-2606
TTY: (630) 469-2300

Progress CIL
7521 Madison St.
Forest Park, IL 60130
Phone: (708) 209-1500
Fax: (708) 209-1735
TTY: (708) 209-1826

Fox River Valley CIL
730 B.W. Chicago St.
Elgin, IL 60123
Phone: (847) 695-5818
Fax: (847) 695-5892
TTY: (847) 695-5868

Will-Grundy Center for Independent Living
2415-A W. Jefferson St.
Joliet, IL 60435
Phone: (815) 729-0162
Fax: (815) 729-3697
TTY: (815) 729-2085

Lake County Center For Independent Living
377 North Seymour Avenue
Mundelein, IL 60060
Phone: (847) 949-4440
Fax: (847) 949-4445
TTY: (847) 949-4440



The Fair Housing Act of 1968 states that tenants have the right to make reasonable modifications to their apartments, with the permission of the Landlord, but at the expense of the tenant.

Long-Term Care Insurance

Although it is not common, some long-term care insurance policies may cover various modifications and equipment. Check your individual policy to confirm.


Available to persons over the age of 65, this agency does not pay for home modifications.

National MS Society – Greater Illinois Chapter

Grants enable recipients with MS to obtain funding for home modifications. For information, visit their website.

Northeastern Illinois Area Agency on Aging

The Area Agency plans and coordinates a comprehensive network of services for persons 60+ in the fastest growing areas in the state: DuPage, Grundy, Kane, Kendall, Kankakee, Lake, McHenry and Will Counties.

For more information, visit their website or call one of the following local offices:

DuPage County Department of Human Services, Senior Services Division
421 N. County Farm Road
Wheaton, Illinois 60187
Phone: (630) 682-7000
Fax: (630) 682-7382
Toll-Free: 1-800-942-9412

Grundy County Health Department, Senior Programs Unit
1320 Union Street
Morris, Illinois 60450
Phone: (815) 941-3121
Fax: (815) 941-2389

Kane County Senior Services Associates
101 S. Grove Ave.
Elgin, IL 60120
Phone: (847) 741-0404
Fax: (847) 741-2163
Toll-Free: 1-800-942-1724

Kankakee County: Catholic Charities Diocese of Joliet
270 N. Schuyler
Kankakee, Illinois 60901
Phone: (815) 932-1921
Fax: (815) 933-4601

Kendall County Senior Services Associates
518 Countryside Center
Yorkville, Illinois 60560
Phone: (630) 553-5777
Fax: (630) 553-6979
Toll-Free: 1-800-942-1724

Lake County Catholic Charities
116 N. Lincoln Avenue
Round Lake, Illinois 60073
Phone: (847) 546-5733
Fax: (847) 546-7114
Toll-Free: 1-800-942-3930

McHenry County Senior Services Associates
3519 N. Richmond Road
McHenry, Illinois 60050
Phone: (815) 344-3555
Fax: (815) 344-3593
Toll-Free: 1-800-339-3200

Northeastern Illinois Area Agency on Aging
245 West Roosevelt Rd., Bldg. # 6, Suites 41-43
West Chicago, IL 60185
Phone: (630) 293-5990
Fax: (630) 293-7488
Toll-Free: 1-800-528-2000

Will County Senior Services Center
251 N. Center Street
Joliet, Illinois 60435
Phone: (815) 723-9713
Fax: (815) 740-4218
Toll-Free: 1-800-892-1412


Northwest Housing Partnership Program

Established in 1990, the Northwest Housing Partnership Program (NWHP) is a non-profit organization that provides loans to low-income homeowners that are in need of home modifications. They proudly serve those living in the north, west, or northwest suburbs of Chicago. 

Managed Care Organizations

The following organizations offer managed care health plans for people living in the Chicagoland area

Money Follows The Person Program:

Illinois’ Pathways to Community Living/MFP Program relies on a strong collaborative, inter-agency approach to the implementation of the program. The Department of Healthcare and Family Services serves as the lead agency for Pathways and partners with the Department on Aging, the Department of Human Services’ Division of Mental Health, Division of Rehabilitation Services, and Division of Developmental Disabilities, along with the Department of Housing Development Authority on the formation of policy and implementation issues related to MFP. For additional details visit their website.

Ray Graham Association

Since 1950, the Ray Graham Association has been dedicated to ensuring that  children and adults living with disabilities are given the opportunity to live the best life possible. They work together to provide customized support services for each individual.

Ramp Up Foundation

This foundation through UCP Seguin of Greater Chicago can provide ramps and interior modifications to make homes accessible to people with disabilities. Their goal is to help people with disabilities, from children to adults, live an independent life. For more information on Ramp Up, please call (708) 444-8460 EXT 231 or visit their website.

Rebuilding Together

RT*MC is part of a national nonprofit program which sponsors National Rebuilding Day across the country on the last Saturday in April. Every year they select a different Chicago neighborhood and south suburb in which to provide free home repair for elderly, disabled, or low-income individuals. Visit their website.

St. Colleta's

St. Colleta's of IL  is a non-profit organization that offers support and services for people with special needs in the areas of residential care, educational programs, medical care, and more. Their programs are built to support the physical, mental, and social well beings of these individuals.

Townships and Villages

Townships serving many local villages oftentimes have a Disability Coordinator that is responsible for promoting awareness of the needs of seniors and citizens with disabilities by providing educational information and programs to address those needs . On occasion, mini-grants are in place with funds available for home accessibility modifications.

DeKalb County: Elderly Care Services
330 Grove Street, DeKalb, IL 60115
Phone: (815) 758-6550
Fax: (815) 758-4239

DuPage County Human Services: Single Family Rehab Program
421 N. County Farm Road, Wheaton, IL 60187
Phone: (630) 407-6500
Toll-Free: 1-800-942-9412

This program is intended to assist low and moderate-income homeowners in maintaining the value of their homes. Services include replacing roofs, doors/windows, siding, furnaces and air conditioning. Assistance is also provided to fix electrical and plumbing problems. The program offers two types of loans, depending on income levels. Deferred loans are zero-interest loans, with no payments until the title is transferred. 3% interest loans have simple-interest payments scheduled over 10 years. Qualified homeowners may borrow up to $20,000.

DuPage County Human Services: Senior Citizen Services
421 N. County Farm Road, Wheaton, IL 60187
Phone: (630) 407-6500
Toll-Free: 1-800-942-9412

Provides limited funding for minor home modifications to older adults, which will enhance their ability to function independently.

Lake County Rehabilitation Assistance Program
Housing Rehabilitation & Neighborhood Services Phone: (847) 546-8919
Lake County Housing Authority Phone: (847) 223-1170
Affordable Housing Corporation of Lake County Phone: (847) 263-7478

This program is available to new or existing property owners in designated areas of the county. The program is aimed at eliminating potential health and safety hazards and improving the general condition of buildings in designed areas through the use of direct funds, counseling, and technical assistance.

McHenry County Housing Authority
Phone: (815) 338-7752
The County funds home rehabilitation programs as part of a home rehabilitation project.

Township of Schaumburg
Phone: (847) 884-0030
The Township of Schaumburg provides services and programs for senior citizens and those with disabilities

Thornton Township Home Modification Program
Phone: (708) 596-6040

These mini-grants are used to purchase equipment that would improve one’s quality of life. Such equipment would include but is not limited to, the following: wheelchair ramps, special medical equipment, and minor home repairs. This equipment is often necessary to help improve the individual’s everyday living skills, accessibility, and independence in their homes.

Trinity Services

Founded in 1950, Trinity Services provides "person-directed" services and support to those who have disabilities and mental illnesses. Currently, they have a presence in 31 communities in the state of IL.

Veterans Programs

Lifeway has a long history of providing support for veterans. We work directly with the local VA hospitals and also can provide home modifications for the grant programs. The VA has three main grant programs to assist disabled veterans with necessary home modifications. 

Visit the Illinois Department of Veterans Affairs Website:

Specially Adapted Housing Grant (SAH)

Veterans or service members who have specific service-connected disabilities may be entitled to a grant from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) for the purpose of constructing an adapted home or modifying an existing home to meet their adaptive needs. The goal of the Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) Grant Program is to provide a barrier-free living environment that affords the veterans or service members a level of independent living he or she may not normally enjoy. The SAH grant is generally used to create a wheelchair accessible home and the grant is currently limited to $60,000.

The Specially Adapted Housing Grant is available to veterans or service members who are entitled to compensation for permanent and total service-connected disability due to:

  1. The loss, or loss of use, of both lower extremities such as to preclude locomotion without the aid of braces, crutches, canes, or a wheelchair.
  2. Blindness in both eyes having only light perception, plus loss or loss of use of one lower extremity.
  3. The loss, or loss of use, of one lower extremity together with
    1. residuals of organic disease or injury, or
    2. the loss or loss of use of one upper extremity.
  4. Item (1) and Item (2) above must so affect the functions of balance or propulsion as to preclude locomotion without the aid of braces, crutches, canes, or a wheelchair.
  5. The loss, or loss of use, of both upper extremities, so as to preclude the use of the arms at or above the elbows.
  6. The permanent and total disability is due to a severe burn injury (as so determined).

You can apply for the SAH and SHA grants by completing VA Form 26-4555, Veterans Application in Acquiring Specially Adapted Housing or Special Home Adaptation Grant, and submitting it to your local VA regional office.

Special Home Adaptation Grant (SHA)

Veterans who have specific service-connected disabilities may be entitled to a grant for the purpose of modifying an existing home to meet their adaptive needs. The Special Home Adaptations (SHA) grant is generally used to assist veterans with mobility throughout their homes. This grant is currently limited to $12,000.

The SHA grant is available to veterans who have a service-connected disability due to military service, entitling them to compensation for permanent and total disability due to:

  • Blindness in both eyes with 5/200 visual acuity or less or
  • The anatomical loss or loss of use of both hands or extremities below the elbow

You can apply for the SAH and SHA grants by completing VA Form 26-4555, Veterans Application in Acquiring Specially Adapted Housing or Special Home Adaptation Grant, and submitting it to your local VA regional office.

Home Improvement and Structural Alternations Grant (HISA)

Under the Home Improvements and Structural Alterations (HISA) program, veterans with service-connected disabilities or veterans with nonservice-connected disabilities may receive assistance for any home improvement necessary for the continuation of treatment or for disability access to the home and essential lavatory and sanitary facilities.

A HISA grant is available to veterans who have received a medical determination indicating that improvements and structural alterations are necessary or appropriate for the effective and economical treatment of his/her disability. A veteran may receive both a HISA grant and either a Special Home Adaptation (SHA) grant or a Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) grant. To apply for a HISA Grant, complete VA Form 10-0103 Veterans Application at

Learn more about these Veterans Administration grants by calling (800) 827-1000 or visiting or

Illinois Warrior Assistance Program

The Illinois Warrior Assistance Program provides confidential assistance for Illinois Veterans as they transition back to their everyday lives after serving our country. Our health professionals are here to help. 

Loans / Tax Relief Programs

E-Z Access Loan Program

This program offered by the Amalgamated Bank of Chicago targets two specific groups, including individuals with disabilities and businesses that are seeking to comply with requirements of the ADA. The Bank has funds to make loans available at reduced rates. Important features include their willingness to lend as little as $500 over a 12 month period (60 months for larger purchases). Their credit terms are relaxed, i.e., items not often included as income are for this program (social security benefits, disability checks, etc.). For more information, visit

Federal Housing Administration (FHA)

Two loan guarantee programs from the Federal Housing Administration, Title 1 and 203K loans have loan size limits. The FHA programs can provide direct loans with below-market interest rates (to 1%), higher than normal debt ratio (to 1%), extended terms (to 33 years), low down payments or financed closing costs. These loans can be used for acquisition or rehabilitation. The 203K program will also loan up to 80% of the repaired value of the home, making it useful for a household that chooses to move and make accessibility improvements in the new home. For details, call (312) 866-2729.

Income Tax Deductions

Many people can take advantage of income tax deductions under the federal tax code. To do so, the cost of the modifications must be treated as a medical deduction and be itemized and shown as an expense on federal tax form 1040 “Schedule A”. In order for home modifications or equipment to be treated as a tax deduction, they must be certified by a physician as being required for health reasons. For a renter, the cost of accessibility modifications becomes a deduction from taxable income. Homeowners can also deduct modifications cost from income but need to account for any increase in the value of the home. A written opinion from a competent real estate appraiser specifying how much and why the home’s value has increased is necessary and an experienced accountant should be contacted.

Plans for Achieving Self-Support (PASS)

Supplemental Security Income (SSI) allows participants to set aside income for accessibility projects. Without jeopardizing benefits, it is an SSI provision to help individuals with disabilities return to work. For more information, please visit their website.

Ready Access Program / Opportunity Illinois Program

The Treasurer’s Office and financial institutions work together to assist individuals with disabilities by providing capital to the borrower at a lower rate of interest. The Treasurer’s Office deposits state funds with participating financial institutions which then make low-interest Ready Access loans. The funds earn interest for taxpayers and are fully protected against loss.

Available through participating financial institutions. The maximum amount is $50,000. Available for up to 5 years at a fixed rate of interest that is below market rate. The Ready Access Program does not provide for medical services, pharmaceuticals, psychological services, therapy and/or therapeutic devices.

Illinois financial institutions wishing to participate in the Illinois Treasurer’s Ready Access Program should also contact the Treasurer’s Office. Illinoisans with disabilities use the Opportunity Illinois interest rate reduction to finance construction projects or purchase equipment that will help them achieve greater mobility and self-sufficiency.

For more information, please visit

Reverse Mortgage and Home Equity Loans

These alternative methods can be utilized to finance home modifications. A financial advisor can help determine which method is feasible. For more information, contact your financial advisor for advice.

Home Equity Loan

A home equity loan is a loan that is guaranteed by your home. They can have either fixed or adjustable interest rates. The interest paid is usually tax -deductible. They can be used for vehicle purchases, home improvement or freeing of equity for investment in other real estate or investments. Contact your financial adviser for advice.

Reverse Mortgage

A reverse mortgage is a special type of loan that enables a senior homeowner to borrow against the equity of your home and receive cash without selling the home, giving up the title or making monthly payments. Special features include:

  • No monthly payments
  • Money is tax-free
  • Does not interfere with Social Security Benefits, Medicare, or Medicaid payments
  • Remaining equity goes to heirs
  • Retain full ownership of your home
  • No mandatory repayment until you are no longer living in the home
  • You cannot outlive your loan
  • Use the money as you wish

This program is:

  • SAFE because it is guaranteed by the Federal Government – FHA.
  • SMART because you can lower your monthly debt and increase your monthly retirement income.
  • EASY because there are no income or credit qualifications.

TechConnect Low-Interest Loan Program

The TechConnect Low-Interest Loan Program has two parts:

  1. The Assistive Technology Loan Program provides loans to Illinois residents with disabilities and/or their families on behalf of the person with a disability to purchase assistive technology devices, services, and home modifications.
  2. The Telework Loan Program is restricted to Illinois residents with disabilities, 18 years and older. The loan can be used to purchase equipment, services, and home modifications for home-based employment. The equipment is not restricted to assistive technology devices.

For more information, please visit their website.

IL Funding list at USC Leonard Davis School of Gerontology

Improve your mobility. Request a quote today!

Request a Quote
Request an Evaluation