Should You Rent or Buy A Wheelchair Ramp?
Posted on by Dan Martin
At some point you or a loved one may require a ramp to access your home and continue living independently. The decision to rent or buy a wheelchair ramp depends largely on your unique situation. Here are some guidelines to consider when making this decision. Keep the following considerations in mind to help make the right decision for your specific circumstance.
Consider Buying a Wheelchair Ramp If:
- You own the property and need to make your home permanently accessible.
- You require a ramp for longer than six months, so it makes financial sense to purchase a ramp.
Consider Renting a Wheelchair Ramp If:
- You need a ramp to accommodate houseguests with mobility challenges.
- It is a short term rehabilitation. The individual requiring the ramp was injured or is recovering but the situation is temporary. Full mobility is expected to return in less than 6 month.
- End-of-life or hospice situation. A patient’s prognosis is such that he/she will not be with you for many more months.
- You are a renter or in transitional housing. Landlords often do not want to bear the expense of a purchasing or permanently installing a ramp. A rental can be a feasible solution.
- A ramp is needed for a special event such as a wedding or graduation or party.
Rent to Own Wheelchair Ramp Option:
Still not sure if renting or buying is the right option? Most companies offer a rent to own program which allows users to ultimately allocate a portion of the rental fee toward a purchase if circumstances change during the life of the lease.