Frequently Asked Questions After a Stair Lift Installation
Posted on by Eric Rubel
If you just had your stair lift installed, but still have a couple of questions in regards to service or maintenance on the lift, you've come to the right place. This post lists a number of commonly asked questions that we receive from stair lift customers after installation.
1. Who do I call for service on my lift?
If you choose a local, reputable dealer to install your stair lift, then you'll always have someone to call directly if your lift needs service. For future reference, you can locate our phone number on a magnet that is placed underneath the seat of your lift.
2. What should I do when the power goes out?
All of the stair lifts that Lifeway offers are battery-operated. So, when the power in the house is out due to a storm or local power outage, the lift continues to be operational. The length of use when the power turns off depends on the charge of the batteries.
When the is not in use during the power outage it is recommended that you turn off the red power button, which is located on the backside of the carriage of your stair lift. This will help save battery power until your power is turned back on.
3. If I leave the house for more than a few days, should I turn off the stair lift?
While it is not necessary that you turn off the lift, we would recommend it because it'll preserve the life of the batteries. However, please make sure that you leave the lift plugged into the electrical outlet.
4. What is needed to clean or maintain my stair lift?
There is nothing that is absolutely necessary to maintain the lift. However, we do suggest you consider cleaning or dusting the seat, armrests, rail, and other major components on a routine basis. You can use a dust rag for the rail and a towel or multi-surface wipe for the upholstery. This is an easy way to keep your lift clean and looking new.
To maximize the life of the lift's battery:
- Use the stair lift on a regular basis
- Ensure it is plugged into the wall outlet
- When not in use, park the lift at the top or bottom landing
- When out of town or in the event of a power outage, turn off the power by pushing the red power button on the chasis of the lift
Both Lifeway and Bruno also highly recommend an annual maintenance visit. It is a great way to ensure that the major components of the lift remain in great working condition. Please contact us for more information on our planned maintenance program.
5. If the stair lift plug falls out of the outlet, what will happen?
If the plug accidentally falls out of the outlet, the lift will still work. However, be sure to plug it back in and soon as you notice this.
6. If I want to replace the carpeting on my stairs, do I have to remove the stair lift?
No, not always. In fact, most carpet installers will usually cut around the stair lift rail and brackets.
7. In the event that I need to move or no longer need the lift, what should I do with it?
If it is a Bruno straight rail stair lift that was installed within the last couple of years and is in good condition, Lifeway may offer to buy it back at a reduced cost.
Bonus Stairlift Trouble Shooting Tip: When getting on the lift to ride down to the lower level of your home, make sure the seat has swiveled into the locked position. The lift will not operate if it is not in the locked position. If it is a Bruno stair lift, then it will start beeping if it is not locked into the correct position.
If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to contact us. We'll be more than happy to help!